Agenzia del Territorio was set up as a consequence of the Ministry of Economy and Finance reform and began operating on the 1st of January 2001.
To assure innovation and continuous development in cartography, cadastre, real estate rights and mortgages registration, real estate market observatory and appraisal services.
To assure that institutions, citizens and professionals can access as easy as possible documents and information related to the real properties register.
To support the taxation system fairness and the fight against illegal situations, working closely with national and E.U. institutions and local authorities, to foster the development of an integrated land information system.
To perform its public role, being inspired by the principles of transparency and responsibility in its actions and behaviours.
Innovation through skill and participation. Playing a leading role in devising and carrying out new solutions for institutions, citizens, professionals, by means of improving staff skills and participation, too.
- cadastre, cartography and real estate rights and mortgages registration services
- setting up and updating of the nationwide comprehensive real properties register
- integration between the cadastral activities and those under the competence of the local government institutions
- management of the Real Estate Market Observatory
- supplying of technical-appraisal services
- fairness achieving in the real estate taxation field
- actions aiming at reducing tax avoidance and evasion
- the cartographic database, containing about 340.000 maps in vector format. Agenzia del Territorio is one of the Italian State cartographic bodies
- the land cadastre database, containing about 82 millions of rural parcels
- the building cadastre database, containing about 63 millions of real estate urban units
- the plans database,containing graphic information related to each real estate urban unit (information uncommon in the European cadastral systems).
The real estate rights and mortgages information system, gathering deeds and related notations (a sort of summaries of the deeds, submitted by an attesting official when asking for transcription or inscription), mainly concerning the transfer of ownership and other rights in rem, and the raising and write-off of mortgages. It contains about 45 millions of automated notations and about 40 million notation in digital format.
The real estate market observatory
About 340.000 surveying datasheets containing information related to the characters of buildings in 1.280 municipalities
More than 180.000 real estate quotations related to 31.000 homogeneous surveying zones, quotations worked out for 17 building typologies and concerning all the municipalities (about 8100) over the whole national territory
The zones cartographic representation aimed at spatial location and geo-referencing information
Appraisal services. The Agency provides technical appraisal consulting services, mainly for Public Administrations, free of charge or upon payment, on the basis of ad hoc covenants.
Agenzia del Territorio is steadily engaged in developing on line services in order to assure an increasingly better accessibility and usability for the final user. The Agency is always paying attention to customer satisfaction and regularly surveys it. The proposed suggestions are used for planning the development of services. Moreover, the Agency takes part in the project Mettiamoci la faccia, a testing promoted by the Minister of the Public Administration and Innovation. By means of emoticons, the Agency will be able to continuously measure the users satisfaction level about on line services.
Information technology and security
The architecture of the Agenzia del Territorios IT system consists of a centralized electronic data processing (EDP) centre connected to the peripheral systems located at the provincial offices. All the information processed by each provincial office are weekly stored also in a central system. This useful back up enables users to access to updated data also through the on line channel.
From a security point of view, in order to minimize possible risks for the information stored, Agenzia del Territorio takes physical, logical and organizational/procedural security measures. The central Access Control System validates the identity of all the users and controls their authorizations.
All the users are then registered in the central system with a specific level of authorization that allows each one to access the requested services.
Preventing and fighting tax evasion
The Agency actively works for taxable base recovering, acting to reduce tax evasion and avoidance cases related to cadastral situations lacking of updating. To this end Agenzia del Territorio has strengthened its technical controls, resulting in significant yield recoveries. This activity is mainly carried out by means of the following so called high fiscal value actions
- the finding out of buildings never declared for cadastral registration through overlapping of cadastral maps with high definition ortophotos
- the finding out of buildings that lost the characters to be assessed as rural ones also by means of a mutual check with the enterprises register data base
- upon request of municipalities, the partial revision of classification (made for the purpose of cadastral valuation) of the private real estate urban units located in municipal cadastral zones where the ratio between the average market value and the related average cadastral value diverges significantly from the ratio concerning the municipal cadastral zones as a whole
- the revision of classification for individual real estate urban units, where building works have been carried out, as a consequence of the request from municipalities to the owners to fulfil their obligation
- the new classification of real estate urban units previously included in group E categories (stations for transport services by road, by sea, by air, by rail, underground), except the E/7 and E/8
- the changes in classification of real estate urban units, previously included in F3 (real estate units under construction) or F4 (real estate units whose final use is still to be decided) fictitious categories, that have become usable and therefore can be classified in the valuable categories of the Building Cadastre.
In order to better represent the cadastral issues towards the E.U. institutions, Agenzia del Territorio has always assured its active and continuous participation in the Permanent Committee on Cadastre in the E.U., association that joins together the E.U. Member States cadastral official institutions.
Besides being a founder Member, Agenzia del Territorio held again the Committee presidency in the second half of 2008, promoting significant actions aiming at increasing the knowledge of the main characters of the different cadastral and real estate rights registration systems in force in the E.U., as requirement to foster the best practices possible sharing. Moreover, as from 2009 a representative of Agenzia del Territorio joined the Bureau of the Working Party on Land Administration, body of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe acting in the field of land administration.
Agenzia del Territorio, besides supplying specialized consulting services under European Union or World Bank funded international projects, takes also interest in implementing cooperation projects as a consequence of direct bilateral agreements with Countries interested in the technical and technological innovations already in use in Italy.
- the Review of Agenzia del Territorio , paper four-month publication for internal use and disseminated to the requesting specialized book shops, with a circulation of more than 2.000 a year, concerning technical and scientific issues, in the Agency field of activity. The review is addressed to the national and foreign academic circles
- Territorio Informa , paper quarterly publication, with a circulation of about 48.000 a year, internal communication tool mainly focusing on the operational branches (regional directorates and provincial offices) activities
- AT News , on line quarterly news produced with the collaboration of RADIOCOR (Sole24Ore Group), sent to more than 1.500 registered users, concerning notable real estate market information
- the Newsletter sent by e-mail twice a month to more than 12.000 registered users, with information about and link to the news published in the Agency web site.
As a part of its institutional activities, the Agency, supported by its technological partner Sogei S.p.a., has carried out significant collaborations with institutions, bodies, professional associations (specially with the notaries and surveyors national associations) and companies (such as Geoweb and Notartel), aimed at achieving fruitful synergy for the general benefit.
With regard to the actions to reduce tax evasion and avoidance cases, the collaborations with the Revenue Agency, Guardia di Finanza and Agea are very significant. Furthermore, the Agency has signed special agreements with Poste Italiane S.p.a. for delivering several services also through the widespread postal offices net.
At last, it is important to highlight the fruitful collaboration with the Civil Protection Department started up for the reconstruction activities in Abruzzo region damaged by the 6th April 2009 earthquake, that has become a general collaboration agreement.
The Agency consists of 7 Central Directorates, 3 of which charged with services management, located in Rome, 15 Regional Directorates and 103 Provincial Offices, thus guaranteeing a widespread institutional presence throughout the national territory.